Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gentleman's Jack Vs Crown Royal

The Chouans Honore de Balzac


classics in literature, I admit, I do appreciate them very moderately. Maybe because when I had to read was so more or less forced, it was mainly in schools and the notion of pleasure was erased. I always hated dissecting a text to your heart. I think the beauty of writing lies in a while and you lose all the magic want to discover the "trick".
There are still some exceptions, but I can point to say that Balzac was gone. Quite the contrary, this is an author that I hated all the more force than his style fell asleep a few pages ago. I was drowning in his prose, I sank, I was sinking with no hope of return.
And yet, as the proverb puts it well: "Do never said, Fountain, I will not drink your water "because adulthood has come. I have changed and I wanted to try again. Maybe today I will take pleasure, that I would be reading selected uncover treasures (literary). It is therefore with some confidence that I threw myself into the water in one of Balzac's works: "The Chouans .

What you will discover on the back cover:

Passion, betrayal, revenge: Marie de Verneuil and the Marquis de Montauran who under the pseudonym of Guy directs the chouannerie are caught up in revolutionary side a grove with fire and blood. The first work of literary maturity of Balzac, heralding the "Human Comedy .

What I thought after reading complete: Even

chosen, the reading was not as easy as that. I really thought

abandon during the first 30 pages. It was as I remembered. I could not read these pages style heavy, too descriptive and no action never seemed to want to come dawn. I was bored farm, but I made myself because violence in the edition I had, when I still could see reproductions of engravings, littographies of fairly regular basis (every 7 pages). It was like a cast of good points.
There was also an abundance of footnotes on each page that gave me a wealth of information on the author's intentions in writing his book, The variations between editions, the historical context, details the vocabulary used ... I chose to read or otherwise voluntarily sometimes jump to stay more focused on the initial story. No doubt that my training as a historian helped me a lot because I was not so lost in jargon so employed.

I do not know if I'm used or if indeed there were more actions, movements in the story, but after the 50 pages of laborious reading, I went back into the plot. I tell you plainly, I was not captivated as can be in a good mystery or a thriller with numb to the blood curdling, but the sentences flowed more natural flow. The elements seemed less frozen. I noticed some movement in all tables as if finally came to life!
I could speed up the pace without having to fight against sleep. Constructions, the syntax was joking. I was not pure analysis, but I could point out ability figures of speech, willingness to find the right words.

The characters are flamboyant, rarely dull otherwise why have them appear in a novel that aims, above all, passionate. They had no point for them.
I did not really attached to them as I can do sometimes. However, they were perfect in the tables that was willing to portray Balzac.

I went to last and to say that I fell "in love" of Balzac's writing, we will say that I could finally finish one of his books. For me it's a small victory and a real pleasure.

My final score: 12 / 20

Nota Bene: Available in paperback (many publishers are possible), it is in the 500 pages (always selected following editions) and costs less than 5 € on average.

0 comments:

Post a Comment